Thursday, March 3, 2011

Inspiring Poem: The Rain

Dear Readers,

My dad is suffering from senile dementia and it is a downhill ride for him as far as his physical and mental state is concerned.

It is a sad and depressing condition as we, the next of kin, observe this gradual slide in his quality of life before the inevitable end of a loved one.

The only thing I can do now for him is to make his final days as comfortable as possible and to visit him as frequently as I can (he's in a nursing home).

This poem speaks to me of a great love a man has for his woman even though in her senile condition, she does not know the right from the left.

This is an  inspiring poem of love that endures between a couple.

Enjoy the story and the pictures!

Rodney

---------------------------------------
The Rain


It was a busy

morning, about 8:30, when an elderly

gentleman in his 80's arrived to have

stitches removed from his thumb.

He said he was in a hurry as he had an

appointment at 9:00 am.

I took his vital

signs and had him take a seat,

knowing it would be over an hour

before someone

would to able to see him.

I saw him looking at his watch and

decided, since I

was not busy with another patient,

I would evaluate his wound.

On exam, it was

well healed, so I talked to one of the

doctors, got the needed supplies to

remove his sutures and redress his wound.



While taking care of

his wound, I asked him if he

had another doctor's appointment

this morning, as

he was in such a hurry.



The gentleman told me no, that he

needed to go to

the nursing home to eat breakfast

with his wife. I inquired as to her

health.

He told me that she had been there

for a while and that she

was a victim of Alzheimer's Disease.

As we

talked, I asked if she would be

upset if he was a bit late.

He

replied that she no longer knew

who he was, that she had not

recognized him in

five years now.


I was surprised, and asked him,

'And you still go every

morning, even though she

doesn't know who you are?'



He smiled as he

patted my hand and said,



'She doesn't

know me, but I still know who she is.'


I had to hold back

tears as he left, I had goose bumps

on my arm, and thought,



'That is

the kind of love I want in my life.'


True love is

neither physical, nor romantic.



True love is an

acceptance of all that is,

has been, will be, and will not

be.



With all the jokes

and fun that are in e-mails,

sometimes there is one that comes

along that has an

important message..

This one I thought I could share with you.



The

happiest people don't necessarily

have the best of everything;

they just make

the best of everything they have.



I hope you share this with someone you

care about. I just did…


'Life isn't about

how to survive the storm,

But how to dance

in the rain.'

We are all getting Older

Tomorrow may be our turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment